PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from a rocky shoreline

3puttfishing
02-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing from a rocky shoreline where the waves are breaking on the rocks. I've been using a Carolina rig, but I get so many setups snagged in the rocks. Just wondering if there was a better way to fish this type of area. I'm down to try anything new. Thanks in advance.

DustyFisherman
02-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Man, a good chance it is your weight getting caught between rocks and not coming out, not just your hook. Any idea on the depth? Hate to say it but have you tried a bobber? Never fished with one in the surf but if your C-Rig is constantly getting stuck then somway you have to figure out how to keep it low in the water but keep it from actually on the bottom. How about a lure of some sort but you keep it moving quickly so it doesn't hit the bottom?
What are you fishing for? I could be wrong but aren't most perch, croakers, hali's etc on sandy areas often next to rocks or other structer as opposed to right on top of them?

3puttfishing
02-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Dusty, it is a combo of my sinker and hook getting caught between rocks and on mussel beds. I've gone down in weight to a 3/8 oz sliding egg sinker. I'm targeting barred surf perch and the bigger ones I have been catching are right where the sand and rocks converge. I was considering a water bubble, but it will crack on the rocks from getting banged around by the waves. I thought of a bobber, but don't think it will stay in the strike zone long enough. However, maybe I'm wrong on that point. I guess its worth a try.

warm core eddy
02-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Yeah, fishing on the bottom in rocks like that is a real challenge. If you haven't already tried this I suggest you use a different tactic and fish just off the rocks with a plastic swim bait. Dealers choice on the variety because so many thing come into play that you just have to play around with different types untill you find something that works at that particular time for that specific condition but all of that having been said plastics offer some distinct advantages. First one being that they are cheap. If you use a fast retrieve you will be able to miss most rocks. bounce off of some and when you do occasionally get hung up. HEY. no big deal. Second, they are usually fished with a lead head which makes them a breeze to cast. Long accurate casts are the norm even in less than perfect conditions like wind. Because long casts are possible you can really cover a lot of territory effectively. they are absolutely deadly on aggressive species like calico bass and perch. When you get the bait matched with the right condition you can blow it wide open with some quality fish.

3puttfishing
02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks WC Eddy. I'll try that out.

edtani
02-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Could try drop shodding. In rocky areas, I'll pinch a bullet sinker on the end of the line and it will slip out if it hangs up.
It stays on while casting.

crabman
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing from a rocky shoreline where the waves are breaking on the rocks. I've been using a Carolina rig, but I get so many setups snagged in the rocks. Just wondering if there was a better way to fish this type of area. I'm down to try anything new. Thanks in advance.

There is no doubt that the largest fish live between the rocks. Heavy sinkers will always get snagged. I might suggest that you reduce your sliding sinker to 1/4th ounce (on the carolina rig) and shorten your flouro leader to about eight inches. Try casting right were the rock meets sand (either from a jetty or around rock structure). Let the current pull your bait in and out from the rocks. If you do get snagged jiggle your rod tip and many times you will come out of the rocks. A rod with a limber tip helps. :)