PDA

View Full Version : Baiting my hooks

fishntoss
05-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Just curious but are the sandworms on my hooks properly rigged right?? The back one is on a #4 hook and the front one a#2 hook. both sandworms are 2in in size. Using regular Mosquito hooks509

Isda
05-15-2014, 09:02 AM
those look fine. Lately, however, I've been "nose hooking" them and getting more mouth hookups. That way it's easier to unhook with minimal harm to the fish (gut hooking)

PlasticMan
05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Looks good! Nothing really to the Camo worm just keep it straight and true. If the perch bite is on its on.. and you can rig em "wacky style" and they will bite!

Like isda said if you lip rig em then you will have a lot easier release. BUT you will miss the smaller models which is not really that bad. Unless you are catching a few for shark/ray bait.

Anyway that's the way to do it!

You also can rig them "Weedless" and pull the point barely back into the worm. That plastic is so soft and the perch hit pretty hard that it will pierce through no problem when setting the hook.

Good Luck glad to have you here.

Plasticman :rats_3_16:

IdahoSpud
05-15-2014, 01:17 PM
That's is how I hook them up. I like the idea about weedless! That would help a little bit from all the grass getting on them.

Spud

fishntoss
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
OK.. cool.. thought it was okay,just wasn't sure if I had too much hook showing thru.. Just waitin a little longer for it to cool off a bit and will be hittin up the beach...

Rhino14
05-18-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm behind the times, I haven't used those yet.... Well I know what I'm getting at the tackle shop next!

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
07-18-2014, 04:38 PM
The camo worms I have are longer than those . What brand and name are theses ? I have to cut mine up into little pieces because of the length but these look perfect.

PlasticMan
07-19-2014, 03:18 PM
That's fine VCW,

The smaller models are 3", but for some odd reason Bass Pro only carries them in bulk. but they are readily available at most other stores. Or just buy them in bulk and put them in your own ziplocs. Nice way to refresh them when they dry out..

Btw, sometimes the longer worms get a bigger model. But patience is key to set the hook. And I would stitch it back a bit as well and the longer shank hooks.

Plasticman

fishntoss
07-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Have been using the 3in ones for some time now. I bought a bag of the 6in but I have no idea where they went...I have also found a bag of SCs and a bag of what look like crawdads or small shrimp. Same thing I guess.. Neither of which I've caught anything with. I've had more luck with the 3 in. worms than anything else as far as plastics. Even if I take the 6in ones and cut them down. Of course the sandcrabs are what the fishys really like..