PDA

View Full Version : How to rig a double looper set up quick and easy and catch more fish!

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
08-08-2014, 10:00 PM
A double looper set up is ideal for casting from the Surf and waiting for the fish to strike . This is called soaking bait .
My preferred bait for this set up is fresh Squid from your local bait shop. Get a 1 pound bag and make sure the Squid doesn't appear to have freezer burn . The Squid should be cut up in 1/2 by 1 1/2 strips . Hook the Squid 2 times leaving the hook semi exposed so as to hook your fish easily . Re-bait your hooks every time you reel in your line . I usually throw the left over Squid away after every fishing excursion so I try and use it all up .
I use a 11' Heavy Action rod with a spinning reel . I use 20 pound mono line and attach a hooked swivel at the end of the line .
To the 1st hooked swivel I will place a 20 pound double looper rig which I buy at Walmart for 5.00 for a pack of 10 . At each loop I attach a Eagle Claw presneeled #6 hook which I also get from Walmart for 1.39 for 10 . I will throw these hooks away after every fishing excursion and keep the double looper rig. At the end of this rig I will place a Sputnik 4 OZ weight . I buy the Sputnik weights from Ebay for 24.00 for 8 . If you get this weight at your tackle shop they sell for 6.50 each .
This weight has made a big difference in the amount of fish that I catch because of the way it digs into the sand . This allows you to keep your line very tight . A tight line allows you to see when the fish strike . Your goal is to cast on the back side of the waves not in front of the breakers . You may have to walk out into the surf and cast . Use a long surf rod holder to place your rod on then wait for the fish .
This quick and easy set up will catch most fish species at the beach . Have fun !:rats_1_3:

MikeB
08-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Dang nice description. Thanks a lot!!!

Jim McNulty
08-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Great description should I ever run across a 12 foot surf pole. Interesting read & complete information in any case.
Thanks Jim

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
08-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Dude go for the 11' foot pole . There harder to find but well worth it . Some times you have to walk out into the surf to get a longer cast and the 11 ' pole is more manageable in the water . Heavy action poles have a great snap to them too, allowing you to cast far and away from the surf line opening up a wide variety of fish for you . Have fun !

Huesitos805
08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Thread should have been titled, 'Where to buy pre-tied double dropper loops and price, etc.'!! You see, I'm more of a Dick's guy myself... LOL, luckily I am well endowed in that category of rigging and its one of my favorites to tie! So I will take the extra five minutes and just do it myself. I'm sure this is very good info for a beginner and even for experts as well...:-)

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
08-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Kewl Bro . Use what you can out of it . Not every one can tie good knots when they start out learning how to fish or even after a couple of hours in the surf . This set up takes me 1 minute to put together on the beach . Allowing me more time to do what I love to do , Fish .

Huesitos805
08-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Kewl Bro . Use what you can out of it . Not every one can tie good knots when they start out learning how to fish or even after a couple of hours in the surf . This set up takes me 1 minute to put together on the beach . Allowing me more time to do what I love to do , Fish .

I was saying that more as a joke... I might actually have to get some pre tied.... would probably save me TONS of frustration when it's windy lol!!:D:D:D

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
08-22-2014, 08:26 PM
As Always have fun my friends !

Rhino14
08-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Def the go to set up for me as well. Especially when the family comes along so I can play with the little ones and entertain the warden while it soaks lol

VALLEYCENTERWAHOO
08-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks!!!!!