PDA

View Full Version : Lip not hooked

fishntoss
09-01-2014, 04:28 AM
I was out the other day and caught three BSP right in a row that pretty much gulped my hook. Didn't quite swallow it but I found it very hard to get the hook out of the fish. I wound up cutting my line and leaving the hook inside. I had my long nose pliers and my forceps but just could not get the hook out.. When they aren't hooked in the mouth, what is a better way to get the hooks out of the fish without tearin up the insides.. Which I did not want to do...

Huesitos805
09-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Maybe leave it in and over time it will get pushed out on its own?? When I'm deep see fishing and that happens, I usually keep it in. Expert, please let me know if my advice is wrong here lol

Huesitos805
09-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Maybe leave it in and over time it will get pushed out on its own?? When I'm deep see fishing and that happens, I usually keep it in. Expert, please let me know if my advice is wrong here lol

crabman
09-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I like to use black hooks (those that are not nickel plated, chrome, brass or anodized). A few good manufacturers are: Gamahatsu split shot/drop shot, Owner mosquito hooks and Mustad ultra point hooks in sizes #1,2, 4. If you cut your line as short as possible these hooks will rust out in about one week. Other plated hooks take about 1-2 months.

Because the ocean is so high in salinity and iodine it is very unlikely to see a fish with any kind of sore or infection caused by the hook. More damage is done by over probing with your hook remover. Hooks left in fish have little effect on their health and are essentially much like the teenagers you see with face piercings--just a lot less annoying! :p

fishntoss
09-04-2014, 02:18 AM
I like to use black hooks (those that are not nickel plated, chrome, brass or anodized). A few good manufacturers are: Gamahatsu split shot/drop shot, Owner mosquito hooks and Mustad ultra point hooks in sizes #1,2, 4. If you cut your line as short as possible these hooks will rust out in about one week. Other plated hooks take about 1-2 months.

Because the ocean is so high in salinity and iodine it is very unlikely to see a fish with any kind of sore or infection caused by the hook. More damage is done by over probing with your hook remover. Hooks left in fish have little effect on their health and are essentially much like the teenagers you see with face piercings--just a lot less annoying! :p

Hahahaha.. love ur last sentence...Although my daughter has a couple.. I always want to wash her face for some reason...lol...

I did find an actual hook remover lying around the shed the other day. Will try that and see if I have any luck. Some of my hooks are, I guess plated? red and the rest almost have a black finish to them. Not sure of the maker of either of them, cept they were cheaper than the rest I saw. Also, I always break off any barbs that are on the hooks.. I noticed with the tools I did use, I kept getting stuck from the barbs on the fish from pushing down so I quit doin that.. Figured if that was happening, it wasn't too good for the fish either..Only had one bleeder, but that was from catching it, not tryin to get the hook out..

Huesitos805
09-12-2014, 12:44 AM
I hate it when those damn perch deep throat the hook! Lol, bad parents, ha!

FishMan
12-28-2014, 03:59 PM
If the fish is large enough, I will use my forceps, and carefully go in through the gill plate above the actual gills. I will then grab the shank of the hook (note: very important to have slack in your line) and rotate the hook in the opposite direction of the hook point. If there is no tension on the line this will unhook the fish and invert the hook so the bend is facing out towards the open mouth. Gently remove the forceps from the gill plate and grab the bend through the mouth to remove. This works best with short shanked hooks such as octopus and Mosquito hooks. If the hook is completely swallowed, I cut the line as close to the hook as possible and hope for the best. Contrary to popular opinion, hooks take much longer to rust out than people think. If you really want to see for your self, get a empty bottle, gatorade style works best due to the wide mouth, fill with seawater and take home. Drop a couple of your commonly used hooks into it and recap. shake the bottle every day to simulate water movement, and wait to see how long it takes for those hooks to completely dissolve. I think you will be surprised. Also remember, if you do some heavy fishing for sharks and such, these bigger hooks will actually take significantly longer due to the thicker metal.

tunamaster
12-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I hate when that happens.. I used small circle hooks for the surf because they do two things. they always stick the fish in the corner of the mouth making it easy to unhook and they are self hooking , you don't have to feel the bite in high or windy surf all you have to do is wind them in when you feel or see the bite. All this is because the fish will grab the bait and swim away and when it swims away the hook will turn and stick in the corner 90% of the time. Now the down side Never set the hook just keep the line taunt the fish will to the rest, and when you bait up use the point to push through the bait.
Get a big one