PDA

View Full Version : How big should my Kroc be?

dpricenator
07-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Read that title fast and it may look inappropriate. But in all seriousness, I am looking be able to bit the beach in South OC in the AM before work. I want to bring as little as lossible with me, so I figure a couple crocodiles and a couple pretied carolina rigs, and a bucket for keepers. I scoped out a few holes in Capo Beach over the foot bridge. Hoping there may be some Halibut down there. I have a few Krocodiles already, 3 from walmat that are about 2.5 inches long and a few from Sprot Chelet that are 4 -4.5 inches long. Then I looked on Rapala.com and saw that they sell 11 different wieghts. from 1/16oz - 2 1/4oz. What size should I be using?

FishKiller
07-21-2015, 08:41 AM
I usually pick my lures based on the line size I am using and the matching fishing rod. I am using a baitcaster with a curado 200e. Full of 30lbs braid, topped with 8lb test. I used the 5/8 oz Kroc which is probably the 2.5 inch size. But I lose alot of Halibut on Krocs because the halibut's mouth is very bony. Better luck using 1/4 oz leadhead (up to 1/2 oz if the current is stronger) with a plastic grub or swimbait. Also the Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110 lures are very good, but I find them very light, so not recommended on windy days.

I thought I get to go fish alot, but you get to go before work ! NICE !

Go get that fish ! :rats_1_3:

p.s.
In addition.. pay attention to the bait in the water and try as close as you can to mimic them. Also note the colors and changes that happens when the water, sun, fishing conditions change. You'll be surprised !

And the retrieve speed on the lures varies. Most of the time, the speed is very slow.

dpricenator
07-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Thank you. I wish I got to fish as often as you make it sound. 3 kids and a wife keep me busy. If I want to fish at all I have to carve time out of an already full schedule. The only place to carve that from is the time I have alotted for sleep. Then I get in trouble for being too tired to play with the kids. :confused:

FishKiller
07-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Thank you. I wish I got to fish as often as you make it sound. 3 kids and a wife keep me busy. If I want to fish at all I have to carve time out of an already full schedule. The only place to carve that from is the time I have alotted for sleep. Then I get in trouble for being too tired to play with the kids. :confused:

Family definitely comes first in my book.

I usually use the family to get the wife to on an outing at the beach... getting to play with the kids, and also get fishing when it's time allows. ;)

tunamaster
07-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Ill second that...and a super size of luck and don't forget to say your prayers