PDA

View Full Version : 6/2/13 Playa del Rey

stevestikihut
06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi ya'll First post, first outing this year...Hit the sand at 6:30 am where Culver hits ocean, high tide, medium waves, no lettuce, overcast. Thru out my big pole with 20lb and a 8ld leader, quasi halibut rig with 3 hooks. triangle sinker and Squid. Looking to "soak" this pole while hitting the surf for Perch, come to find out, I only had about 20 yards on this reel, "Ker-plunk!!" (WTF?) Don't recall why it only has this little line, wonder if a son of mine swiped it for some reason and didn't tell me... Bring it back in, close it up and turn my attention to my light weight rig in the surf. Not biting on sand crab, used my SC trap and each time I would fill it with dime size crabs, no wonder they are not biting on it, they are sick of it. Switched over to Berkley 2" sand worms in motor oil and the party started. Lots of hits, pulled in fish every 8 - 10 min. All were under 12", released them hoping for bigger game, suddenly the hitting stopped and I looked up to see a harbor seal frolicking in the waves, I moved and began hits again, sudden stop again, looked up and dolphins decided that where I was fishing would be a good place to hang out and play. I move again and a band of Cormorants invaded the neighborhood. What the heck is this a Dr Doolittle episode? Then the temperature dropped, the wind started howling, I was shivering so bad could hardly hold the rod. Hey this is supposed to be fun and I am not having fun. Off we went, didnt take anything home but enjoyed the catches I did make and just being out in My Lord's creation for a quiet morning.
BTW I work at the Hyperion Treatment plant just up the road and what I know about our process, had I caught anything there, I would eat it. 50years ago, no way but today it's one of the safest, cleanest plants in the world.

PlasticMan
09-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi ya'll First post, first outing this year...Hit the sand at 6:30 am where Culver hits ocean, high tide, medium waves, no lettuce, overcast. Thru out my big pole with 20lb and a 8ld leader, quasi halibut rig with 3 hooks. triangle sinker and Squid. Looking to "soak" this pole while hitting the surf for Perch, come to find out, I only had about 20 yards on this reel, "Ker-plunk!!" (WTF?) Don't recall why it only has this little line, wonder if a son of mine swiped it for some reason and didn't tell me... Bring it back in, close it up and turn my attention to my light weight rig in the surf. Not biting on sand crab, used my SC trap and each time I would fill it with dime size crabs, no wonder they are not biting on it, they are sick of it. Switched over to Berkley 2" sand worms in motor oil and the party started. Lots of hits, pulled in fish every 8 - 10 min. All were under 12", released them hoping for bigger game, suddenly the hitting stopped and I looked up to see a harbor seal frolicking in the waves, I moved and began hits again, sudden stop again, looked up and dolphins decided that where I was fishing would be a good place to hang out and play. I move again and a band of Cormorants invaded the neighborhood. What the heck is this a Dr Doolittle episode? Then the temperature dropped, the wind started howling, I was shivering so bad could hardly hold the rod. Hey this is supposed to be fun and I am not having fun. Off we went, didnt take anything home but enjoyed the catches I did make and just being out in My Lord's creation for a quiet morning.
BTW I work at the Hyperion Treatment plant just up the road and what I know about our process, had I caught anything there, I would eat it. 50years ago, no way but today it's one of the safest, cleanest plants in the world.

That's FUNNY STUFF! !!! Oh man I have been there. And who says God doesn't have a sense of Humor!! Welcome Steve! It will fun and a pleasure to read your posts! We are growing slow but sure. And making some good friends and good reports.

Spread the Word and the Word :)

Peace,

Plasticman

Rhino14
09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Welcome Steve! Great report and looking forward to more in the future. Have fun and tight lines!