PDA

View Full Version : Capo beach frustration

Rhino14
07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Short, rough day. Ended up with one small SNGF, smaller than 2 ft. Just south of doheny beach. Strong incoming tide, lots of weeds, hard to keep the bait in the water.
Was down to my last bit of 25 test in my spool so decided to re spool on the spot but only had 12 test in my box. That just led to break offs and frustration. New to hit the shop and stock up.

Which leads me to a question... What pound test do you guys normally use and with how much weight? Mono? Braid? Flouro? I usually use 20 or 25 Berkeley big game mono green and sling anywhere between 3-8 oz if weight. Thanks for any input.

Rhino14
07-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the detailed help. Do you cast past the first set if breakers? And do you have a hard time keeping the bait in the water with only 1/2 or 1 oz weight? Just seems like your bait would wash up with that little of weight. Sorry, trying to wrap my head around this. I've just always used a ton of weight to keep it locked into the sand so it doesn't wash up to shore or get carried all over by the waves.

Rhino14
07-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Awesome. Ill try it out with my second pole tomm. Think ill hit my beach, smaller waves.

Last question, what size rod do you use? I have a 8ft I always use and a 6 I use for back up and around the jetties and stuff. Thanks again

Rhino14
07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Cool, thanks again man I appreciate the help.

I also use owner skeets, an really like gamgatsu circle hooks. I don't have any fancy gear just quantum rods and a Shakespeare spinning but there a lot of fun and take a beating. Hopefully this new found knowledge will land me some more tomm. Ill be sure to post in San O thread. Thanks again skunkin.

Rhino14
07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
That's for sure! I always have to hose it down when I get home and hit it with some wd40.
Damn rocks wore out my feet also! They're beat to crap from tide smashing rocks up and down onto them today. But that spot has produced something every time I've been there. Battle scars, chicks dig it. Lol

PlasticMan
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
I am a 8# guy on the surf I use carolina rig as well for perch & perch. Berkley line is pretty darn dependable for me on my carolina rig. On my big sticks I go power pro 40# for the leo's and anything else that is going to be out farther.

Simple double or single drop looper with a 5/0 Circle hook and 6oz surf weight that I am now pouring myself. There not pretty but they cost me nothing to make! I get the weights from tire shops that are just going to throw them away anyways. (the stick on ones) they re-use the clamp ones.

Anyway.. good luck guys

Plasticman

Rhino14
07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the help PM, between you and skunkin I think I figured out my problem.

On a separate note, I was also thinking about making my own weights as they do get costly over time. And you can fashion nails for better grip, etc. Any chance you can start a DIY weight making thread? Thanks again!

RickTee
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Best spot that I have found is heading on the rocks just off the Ocean Institute around the point by Salt Creek. If you have a good 12' to 15' rod, you can reach the kelp beds for calico, halibut and the occasional shark... I am usually up for an early morning fish, if you want to PM me- I can show you the spots...

Rhino14
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tip and the invite!

PlasticMan
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the help PM, between you and skunkin I think I figured out my problem.

On a separate note, I was also thinking about making my own weights as they do get costly over time. And you can fashion nails for better grip, etc. Any chance you can start a DIY weight making thread? Thanks again!

Hey Rhino,

Sorry about the car again.. but lets put that thread here http://socalsurfrats.com/surf-fishing-california/forumdisplay.php?62-Surf-Fishing-Equipment-Reviews-amp-Talk

Othewise we are going to have a ton of new threads.. and this board is pretty big as it is.. I am going to make a video this weekend if I have time after I get back from labor day.. on how I make my own. It is really SUPER easy...

thanks for the idea for a video.

Plasticman out!

PlasticMan
08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Best spot that I have found is heading on the rocks just off the Ocean Institute around the point by Salt Creek. If you have a good 12' to 15' rod, you can reach the kelp beds for calico, halibut and the occasional shark... I am usually up for an early morning fish, if you want to PM me- I can show you the spots...

OH Heck Yeah.. I am going to hit that up .. Are you throwing big hammer for the calicos?

Google Earth = Friend ;)