WOW! San Clemente Calicos

I just watched a video doing some research on Calico's and some young men were killing them around the "backside" of San Clemente Island. Has anyone here ever fished there?

Is it always that good? They were using 9" swim baits rigged a few different ways, but mostly weedless to pull through the kelp. Wow I got to get out there and give that a try. My buddy loves bass fishing (fresh) I bet he would have a heart attack if I took him out there, but that means I would have to get a boat. Hmmmm.

Hope they stop by I invited them. Hope that is okay

Spud

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    Fenwick venture 7ft & Regal 2000
    PB Fish Species
    16 inch YFC
    I have fished there many times big calicos and also yellowtail are around. Had good luck throwing 5-6 inch plastics on a weed less 1/4 to 1/2 oz lead head good luck

Administrator
    Rod Combos
    Garcia Revo Toro NACL60 w/Okuma Cedros Coastal Med 40 braid .......... Penn 525 Mag/Mods w/ Ocean Master 12' Heavy -40 braid SW ............ Shimano Spheros 4000 w/BSP Johnny Morris 7' med - 6lb mono
    PB Fish Species
    Leo 62" - BSP 15.75"- WSP - 5"- SFC - 0"- YFC - 15"- SNGF --
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I Have friends that fish for Calico's on the fly out there. It's called the Calico Syndicate. Pretty cool you should check them out.

At least they have pictures ....ahemm.

Plasticman
    You Got To Put The Steel To Em'

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Just make sure that it is not closed. Sometimes the Navy would use the island for target practice and they close the entire island, or maybe just the outside (backside). Calico fishing could be excellent there, but not all the time. I guess it depends who's running the boat.