Beach Brother
    Rod Combos
    Custom Shikari flyrod blanks wrapped as spinners. 10' 5wt with a Daiwa coastal 2500 loaded with 4#. Shikari 9' 6wt with a Daiwa Lexa 2000 loaded with 4#. Shikari 8' 6wt with a Daiwa Lexa 2000.
    PB Fish Species
    26" corbina 26" spotfin croaker 359# Thresher shark (local coastal on my boat) 65# White Sea Bass (local coastal on my boat) 43.7 Yellowtail (local coastal on my boat) 37.4 Halibut (local coastal on my boat)

Pre work session with Brandon with some bonus excitment 10-1-14

Brandon and I haven't been out in a while but we've been cracking out to hit the sand so yesterday Brandon went and made about 25 small 1 1/2 inch ghost shrimp and this morning at O dark thirty I went and took a quick look at the SC spot and got lucky and made a dip with the SC rake and managed 50 to 60 pieces in one dip. Hasn't been like that in a while so it was nice to see. All good dime to quarter size models. Met up with Brandon at 5:45am and we went to spot #1. Looked good and we worked it for an hr but only managed a smooth hound, some YFC and some BSP so we made a quick move to the spotfin spot as the tides looked for it. got there and started fishing at 8am. Looked for the bigger cobblestone filled sand (same set up as before) and fished in front of it and about 10 to 15 min into fishing and ZZZZZZ I'm on. Nice fight and it was definitely the right kind but after a 5 min fight the hook pulled right on the edge of the drop off rebaited and cast to the same spot and Bang !!!! I'm on again. Nice battle with the fish and bingo, target acquired. Nice clean 18" SFC hit the sand.
    18" spotfin

Glory shot

Released the fish and went back to work trying to find more. We caught a few more BSP, YFC, a small leopard shark, a small smooth hound shark , banjo shark and then things got interesting. We're low on bait and only have a couple super small 1" ghost shrimp and Brandon pins one on pitches it out. Little bit later I turn around and he's hooked up solid and getting smoked by something. We where think SNGF as the fight was pretty slow and steady. 15 min into the fight Brandon yells BIG HALIBUT !!!!! Not good on 4# and a #6 mosquito hook LOL , I reeled my line in and ran over to assist if needed. He worked the fish close a couple times and I caught a glimpse of the fish and it looked like a solid 20# fish. Thirty min into the fight and I snapped a couple quick pics of him fighting the butt
    Brandon on a big butt

Over the shoulder shot

Big bendo shot

Now things get crazy. Damn thing decides to drop into the drop off and just sticks to the bottom. About 10 min of the fish just sitting there and then Brandon gets it to move again. 15 min later and again it drops into the drop off and this time sits for a super long time. Tried everything to get it to move but it just wouldn't budge. It was only 15' off the edge of the sand so I took off my trout vest and shirt and went in after it. Grabbed the line and swam out till I was over the fish then dove down about 6 to 7 feet sliding my hand down the line as I went down. got to the sinker and then slid my hand down toward the fish and finally got him to pop from the sand. Swam back in and watched as Brandon fought the butt for another 30 min before the butt decided to stick to the bottom again. This time he did it outside the dropoff where it was just to far/deep for me to go. 15 min later and 30 min late for work Brandon finally had to try and pressure the fish as we where way out of time but unfortunately the 4# flouro popped just above the knot bummed as I thought we really had a shot at this fish but it was still fun as hell !!!!!! Total fight time for Brandon and the butt was and hour and a half.

Sorry it didn't work out Brandon but we gave that fish all we had and he bested us today. Next time my friend !! and good fishing with ya as always.
    Looking forward to the next trip all ready,
    B
    Last edited by UnReel; 10-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    9' Pheniox Trifecta med. action and rated for 6-12 pound test, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures. The rod is pared with a 2500FD Shimano Sedona filled with #6 Pline mono and a #6 pound Seagar Fluorocarbon 20" leader.
    PB Fish Species
    15.25" BSP, 20" Corbina, 16" YFC, 15.25" Spotfin Croaker
    Great post! To bad about the fish.

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful spotfin and what a heart break Brandon! I bet I know where you are going fishing tomorrow!

Such a team effort to get that butt off the bottom and to shore. It almost worked--but instead left you with wet clothes and late for work. Awesome report thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see your next report...

Beach Brother
    Rod Combos
    Diawa DXS962MFS 9'6" Medium Action w/ a Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
    PB Fish Species
    25" Halibut 36" Blue Shark 18" Leo 32# Blue Fin The rest are not worth posting, Need to be upgraded LOL!!
    Images
    What a way to start the day, sorry it didn't turn out better. I'm sure you can return and try with some heavier artillery.
    Team Master Baiter

Beach Brother
    Rod Combos
    Custom Shikari flyrod blanks wrapped as spinners. 10' 5wt with a Daiwa coastal 2500 loaded with 4#. Shikari 9' 6wt with a Daiwa Lexa 2000 loaded with 4#. Shikari 8' 6wt with a Daiwa Lexa 2000.
    PB Fish Species
    26" corbina 26" spotfin croaker 359# Thresher shark (local coastal on my boat) 65# White Sea Bass (local coastal on my boat) 43.7 Yellowtail (local coastal on my boat) 37.4 Halibut (local coastal on my boat)
    Thanks for the reply's guys and ya it was a great way to start a morning. Pretty exciting session and lots of action in a very short time. Nice job fighting that Butt for an hour and a half Brandon !!!! Nice time brother !!!