Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    the kind that bends
    PB Fish Species
    if it swims count me in
    Images

Lightbulb Egg Sinker Modification tip

Egg Sinker Modification
    I use the lighter lines of linen lines 2-10lb for surf fishing or fresh water fishing aka Berkley nano or mono lines.
    And when using a Caroline rig set up I started noticing a shafting of the line within the
    First ten feet and increase break offs.
    Until a friend of mine told me that the line was being worn down by the surf surge at the
    Sliding egg sinker and the long casting and he told me this secret to fix it.
    You insert a short piece of plastic straw (the kind you get from the wd40 cans) into the eggIMG_20141216_192453.jpg
    sinker hole then heat the ends with a lighter or hair dry to flange out the tube on both
    Sides check for sharp ends and your ready to go fishing. Here is a picture of the finish product
    I also paint my sinkers white so that I can spot them during a long cast

update...
    Ok, so I made up a few more egg sinkers and found out that not all egg sinkers are made with the same size center hole and not all straws are made with the same outer diameter.
    So i had to drill out the sinker center hole with the matching drill size to make it work, you lose a little weight but its worth it.
    Also swizzle sticks that you stir your coffee with work great, the red ones.
    So save your swizzle sticks and wd40 straws and get to work on this great raining day Mod.
    Get a big one
    Last edited by tunamaster; 12-29-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: update

That is a great idea. Thanks for posting it.

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Awesome idea. Thanks for the tip!

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    9' Pheniox Trifecta med. action and rated for 6-12 pound test, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures. The rod is pared with a 2500FD Shimano Sedona filled with #6 Pline mono and a #6 pound Seagar Fluorocarbon 20" leader.
    PB Fish Species
    15.25" BSP, 20" Corbina, 16" YFC, 15.25" Spotfin Croaker
    Great idea I'll give it a try
    Semper fi

Beach Brother
    PB Fish Species
    12" BSP, 25" Halibut, 22" Corbina, 15" Sargo, 16" Calico
    Learn something new all the time. Thanks for the tip.

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    the kind that bends
    PB Fish Species
    if it swims count me in
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattChristie View Post
    Learn something new all the time. Thanks for the tip.
    thanks, its a great raining day something to do

Beach Brother
    Rod Combos
    Lost all my fishing great in my last divorce 15 or 16 years ago. Will have to replace it all again. Have bass fished in Oklahoma, carp fished in Nebraska, used to like fishing Big Bear Lake, used to like the Charger out of Oxnard as it did a lot of 2 1/2 day trips, and tuna fished in Mexico on a 5 - 7 day trip. Never surf fished but want to learn. Hopefully, I may even meet someone on this forum who I might learn a bit from. Don't know why I
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for such a great idea - with complete instructions including the cigarette lighter.

see attached for Ebay seller who sells these straws at a good price 20 for $5.00 plus shipping.
    Chesapeake Upholstery and Supplies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast