Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket List

Bucket List

Here is something from my bucket list. Okay maybe not that severe. But I would love to catch a good sized leopard shark. Not just because it is a shark but because of it's over all draw. It looks amazing, seems to be a little bit harder to catch.

I am currently trying with perch. Now I am not sure if I am supposed to rig it in a drop loop or with a carolina rig and let it run a bit? Is the fish supposed to be live? whole? do I need to use a certain amount of cut bait for it? I read somewhere on another nice forum that a guy said he uses whole pregnant female perch. I am not going there. We need to keep the those bait fish up!

So with that said any help would be cool.

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoSpud View Post
    Here is something from my bucket list. Okay maybe not that severe. But I would love to catch a good sized leopard shark. Not just because it is a shark but because of it's over all draw. It looks amazing, seems to be a little bit harder to catch.

I am currently trying with perch. Now I am not sure if I am supposed to rig it in a drop loop or with a carolina rig and let it run a bit? Is the fish supposed to be live? whole? do I need to use a certain amount of cut bait for it? I read somewhere on another nice forum that a guy said he uses whole pregnant female perch. I am not going there. We need to keep the those bait fish up!

So with that said any help would be cool.

Spud
    Hey spud!

During this last summer my dad caught a 4 foot Leo. He used a c-rig (Carolina rig) and he did let the bait run off a little bit oh and he was using a perch for bait. Hope this helps a little!

Josh,
    (Always Tight Lines)

Administrator
    Rod Combos
    Garcia Revo Toro NACL60 w/Okuma Cedros Coastal Med 40 braid .......... Penn 525 Mag/Mods w/ Ocean Master 12' Heavy -40 braid SW ............ Shimano Spheros 4000 w/BSP Johnny Morris 7' med - 6lb mono
    PB Fish Species
    Leo 62" - BSP 15.75"- WSP - 5"- SFC - 0"- YFC - 15"- SNGF --
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmoncada View Post
    Hey spud!

During this last summer my dad caught a 4 foot Leo. He used a c-rig (Carolina rig) and he did let the bait run off a little bit oh and he was using a perch for bait. Hope this helps a little!

Josh,

Josh, Did your dad use a whole perch or cut bait? Where did he hook the perch? Live? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticMan View Post
    Josh, Did your dad use a whole perch or cut bait? Where did he hook the perch? Live? Thanks.
    He did use live bait he pinned the hook right behind the dorsal fin. But be careful how far down you pin it or the perch song be able to swim right.
    (Always Tight Lines)

FWIW, I've caught quite a few legal Leo's, all released. The biggest ones were caught on sandcrabs.
    Robert
    California licensed fishing guide #11547.

I usually almost always use frozen squid, but have caught Leo's with it also. They were small however. About a 2 in long chunk. I heard that pregnant perch is like candy to them. But have never tried perch. Next time I catch one ill post the setup used!

shark1.jpg
    I've been fishing leopards up in Nor-Cal since I was in 3rd grade. Here are some of my secrets...
    Carolina rig is the way to go... with enough weight to keep the bait on the bottom and your line tight. I fish 3-8 OZ depending on water conditions. We had ripping tides up in the SF Bay... Fresh bait is key. Squid for muddy bottom, local fish for sandy bottom. Leopards love a fat perch in distress as well as midshipmen and cut king fish. I've also had great success on fresh sardines... Big leopards like to run with the bait first, so let them take line for at least 5 real seconds... a lot of self control is required. I use a shimano thunnus (bait runner) reel which the freespool set on the lowest resistance that water conditions allow... which lets the Leo run... after they take 10-15ft of line hit 'em hard!

the large female Leo above was caught on a fresh king fish filet in south SF bay in about 30 ft of water... but I've caught them to 65" in as little as 5' of water... I just moved to West LA about a month ago and have just started researching where I can get my fill of some SoCal Leo action... I'll be heading out next Tuesday to the Marina Del Rey area as it's about 3 miles from my house... I haven't fished it yet, but my plan is to get a perch with my new perch rig and dangle it on a 4/0 hook about 36" from a 4oz slider... wish me luck!
    JMan

Administrator
    Rod Combos
    Garcia Revo Toro NACL60 w/Okuma Cedros Coastal Med 40 braid .......... Penn 525 Mag/Mods w/ Ocean Master 12' Heavy -40 braid SW ............ Shimano Spheros 4000 w/BSP Johnny Morris 7' med - 6lb mono
    PB Fish Species
    Leo 62" - BSP 15.75"- WSP - 5"- SFC - 0"- YFC - 15"- SNGF --
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can't believe I missed this POST! Jman welcome and thanks for the pointers I am a LEO ADDICT! Love to fish them. 65 is Huge caught my biggest one went 63 in San Clemente and I thought she was a BEAST!

Anyway how did the Bay work out? Bolsa Chica turns out some pretty nice Leo's but everyone knows that and fished the crude out of that area. I am looking for some new Beachestate to find some bigger leo's Hope to see you back soon with some new pictures. And stories...

My problem here is with the flow.. it just rolls the bait sideways and can't keep it stuck with a C-rig so we use spudnik style surf sinkers. Which work pretty well.

Glad to see you posting and can't wait to see your reports. I see a little competition on this one.

Plasticman
    You Got To Put The Steel To Em'

I too, use the sputnik style sinkers (though I've always called them spider weights). SF Bay is nearly all mud, so those always worked best. I have been out only once sine moving to LA, and only managed to get action on my little rod with a grub… I'll be heading out again this coming weekend for another shot. My biggest problem is getting some live bait. I haven't caught a perch, croaker or anything down here yet…

I didn't have any trouble keeping my bait on the bottom with a 5 oz spider last time, but I didn't notice much water current where I was. I fish a 12' Ugly Stick with a Shimano Thunnus 12000. I can get a 5 oz weight pretty damn far with 40# braid.

Here are a couple from earlier this year…
    Are there any reports of seven gill sharks down this way? The SF bay was a great location for these giants as well, but you have to be careful with those smiling mouths!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast