HI,

I'M a noob here, and i live in culver city. I've tried fishing at the SAMO pier but I really find surf fishing interesting and would like to try it. My question is, where exactly is it ok in SAMO beach to go surf fishing? I work in SAMO and I would not want to drive as far as malibu just to go surf fishing. any input would be well appreciated.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Hello ! Welcome !

I'm gonna let the anglers that work Santa Monica to give you the hot tips fishing that area.

Beach Brother
    PB Fish Species
    14" BSP, 29" Halibut, 26" Corbina, 16" Sargo, 20" Calico, 22" YF Croaker, 22" Striped Bass
    Hey luv2fish, ive fished all up and down samo the last few months. Perch in the bay have been off but it seems to be picking up. Been seeing corbina in the surf lately. Ive been catching halibut the last month from will Rogers all the way to marina Del rey. Halibut has been the main draw for me lately, using lucky craft flash minnows.color preference changes daily. Also, just recently there have been alot of leopard sharks and rays in the water. Thinking about breaking out the heavy gear and having a go at them.

As for specific places to go, you can fish wherever you want. I just try to stay away from the swimmers. Would hate to sink my luckycraft into some kid. Usually early morning weekends and most of the time on weekdays the beaches are wide open. From CC, you might consider dockwiler just south of the marina. Surf fishing aroand samo pier north and south seems to be decent, but as ive said, perch have been scarce. Doesnt mean that they won't show up any day along with corbina and croaker.

Beach Brother
    Rod Combos
    Surf/pier -Ugly stik bigwater combo 7' #40lb braid #20 lb mono leader / Diawa D shock with 8 lb mono / Wright Mc Gill rod and reel with 12 lb mono. / Ocean Master 12' with 20 lb mono and penn 525 reel.
    PB Fish Species
    7" Surf Perch / Corbina 0 / Halibut 0 / Croakers 0
    Images
    I surf fish marina del rey and playa del rey frequently because it's not a crowded beach and the plus side that there's a jetty just in case the surf isn't being productive. I always setup with a 8' rod and 10 lb main line with 4lb Fluro leader. Camp gulp sandworms in 2 inch work great they stay on the hook and are already precut. As for lures you could try luckycraft110 sardine or electric grunion I heard works great for halibut. Remember to match the lure with the bait and water conditions. When I bring out the big guns I use my 12ft surf rod with a conventional reel for better distance, with a double dropper loop rig paired with 1 squid and muscle on the other just to see what there taking. Then I make my decision. There's plenty of room even in summer to fish there for some odd reason people like to go to the more populated area near Venice pier. Fish from the pier all the way down to the jetty I'm sure your gonna be in for something good. I like using gamatsu 1/0 circle hooks.

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Good fishing up to the north of you all along the beach and all the way south on almost any beach. Only thing you have to watch out for is the MLPA areas which are closed or restricted.

If you look on my MLPA page here: fishthesurf.com where to fish -- you will be able to see all the closed spots in both GPS and aerial view.

Have fun out there. This is going to be an epic summer!

I stuff fish south of Venice pier - last year was awesome & this year I can barely catch anything. Seems to me the stuff has been rough this year. I may bring out the old surf pole so I can get past the breakers