Thread: 4-2-15 Halibut

Beach Brother
    PB Fish Species
    14" BSP, 29" Halibut, 26" Corbina, 16" Sargo, 20" Calico, 22" YF Croaker, 22" Striped Bass

4-2-15 Halibut

No work today. Ran some errands in West L.A. and decided to stop down in Santa Monica and get my line wet. Was there about 5 minutes before I landed my first surf halibut:
    First Surf Halibut 4_02_15.jpg
    Unfortunately he was only 19 inches but I was still pretty excited. caught two more smaller halis before the wind got to be too much.

Got out there about 11:00 am. Tide was going out. A little breezy and, while the waves weren't big, they were constant and a little choppy from the wind. Lots of salad in the water. Caught the halis on Luckycraft 110 in ghost green smelt pattern.
    Last edited by MattChristie; 04-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Well I remember about a month ago you were just asking "how to's" ... and now look at you, just as predicted. You have out done your peers ! Congratulations Matt ! Unfortunately, I have no prizes to give away. But, job well done !

That is a nice halibut !

Beach Brother
    PB Fish Species
    14" BSP, 29" Halibut, 26" Corbina, 16" Sargo, 20" Calico, 22" YF Croaker, 22" Striped Bass
    Thanks Fishkiller. I've learned alot from the people on this forum and with a little luck mixed in, my wife and I are having a blast in the surf.

I didn't mention earlier that I saw quite a few corbina swimming around in the surf also. My next goal is to learn how and where to make bait. I have not seen any sandcrabs yet and don't have any clue where to find ghost shrimp or lug worms. Hoping to get with the right people or just get lucky and happen across a spot. Until then, I'll just keep plodding along.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattChristie View Post
    Thanks Fishkiller. I've learned alot from the people on this forum and with a little luck mixed in, my wife and I are having a blast in the surf.

I didn't mention earlier that I saw quite a few corbina swimming around in the surf also. My next goal is to learn how and where to make bait. I have not seen any sandcrabs yet and don't have any clue where to find ghost shrimp or lug worms. Hoping to get with the right people or just get lucky and happen across a spot. Until then, I'll just keep plodding along.
    Wells, sandcrabs, just gotta find the bed. Lugworms are farmed in Korea so I doubt you will find some here. And ghost shrimp, are found in mud flats and marshes. Need a ghost shrimp pump. There are some DIY on YouTube on how to build one, and there are also some really nice ones already built. I heard someone said that finding the bait is the funnest part of surf fishing.