Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries

Quick Report From Surfside...

Just leaving now to go to Carpinteria for my Friday and Saturday clinics.

Got bait...

Went down to the beach just before high tide in the evening and found this...

Cast out a ghost shrimp on the Carolina Rig with 6lb leader and caught this...

Feisty fighting spotfin with crazy spawning colors. See you all after another weekend of surf fishing!

Bill

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    OOH Ghost shrimp ! I don't know what happened to those thousands and thousands of sand crabs. They seem to have disappeared.

That spotfin is gorgeous !

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    Abu Garcia Black Max Pro Combo
    PB Fish Species
    6lb LB
    I wonder what happened! When I went to El Cap there was nothing!

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    9'6" Okuma Spinnng Rod with Safina 25 Reel 8'6" Fenwick HMX Rod with Shimano Sedona 2500 Reel 7'6" Berkely Lightning Rod with Shimano Syncopate 2500 Reel
    PB Fish Species
    BSP - Large, but not XXL Corbina - Average sized, Nothing Shocking YFC - Decent Sized Halibut - All undersized from the surf (18" was biggest) Walleye Perch - Good sized for a Walleye SFC - TBD
    Hi Bill,

I hope all is well. Nice SFC. That one still evades me...for now.

I wanted to ask for some advice from you and any of the folks here on the SCSR forum; I will be in the Malibu area (north end, by Point Dume, and I was wondering if you could suggest a location or two to try out? How is finding bait around there, should I lug around the sand crab rake? I have never fished this area, but I will be there for about 3-4 hours, in the late afternoon, while my wife is at a baby shower. I am guessing I will start fishing just before low tide around 4pm, 8/15. Are there enviromental, off-limits areas around there? (I think there are.) Let me know if there is anywhere you know of to avoid. I typically use the C-rig, any other suggestions for setup for these spots? Bait has been hard to come by, so I will probably be using Gulp worms or grubs, any suggestions? I greatly appreciate any feedback or tips you or anyone can offer. I will post a report afterwards, especially if I have any luck.

Have a great seminar in Carpinteria, hope you guys have a blast.

Thanks,

FISHING A HOLE
    Last edited by FISHING A HOLE; 08-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHING A HOLE View Post
    Hi Bill,

I hope all is well. Nice SFC. That one still evades me...for now.

I wanted to ask for some advice from you and any of the folks here on the SCSR forum; I will be in the Malibu area (north end, by Point Dume, and I was wondering if you could suggest a location or two to try out? How is finding bait around there, should I lug around the sand crab rake? I have never fished this area, but I will be there for about 3-4 hours, in the late afternoon, while my wife is at a baby shower. I am guessing I will start fishing just before low tide around 4pm, 8/15. Are there enviromental, off-limits areas around there? (I think there are.) Let me know if there is anywhere you know of to avoid. I typically use the C-rig, any other suggestions for setup for these spots? Bait has been hard to come by, so I will probably be using Gulp worms or grubs, any suggestions? I greatly appreciate any feedback or tips you or anyone can offer. I will post a report afterwards, especially if I have any luck.

Have a great seminar in Carpinteria, hope you guys have a blast.

Thanks,

FISHING A HOLE
    Welcome aboard !

Not familiar with the area so I cannot give you specific locations.

I haven't found many sand crabs, in places I visit. They seemed to have disappeared, although you have the right idea of bringing the rake. You'll never know. I buy my live bait from Young's Tackle in La Palma, or Big Fish at Seal Beach. Not sure if the tackle shops out there carry live bait.

Starting at page 22 of this Document shows which areas are restricted.

C-rig seems to be the setup for the surf.

Please let us know how you did when you get back. Post up your report, and don't forget to take pictures !!!

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Hey F.A.H,
    Much of that area is closed off under the MLPA. It goes from Big Dune all the way to the end of Zuma beach near the Trancas market. I drove by there today at 1pm on my way back from Carpinteria and it was insanely crowded! Most people I have ever seen in my 57 years living here. It was crazy!

Some really good places to fish up in that area are: Matador Beach, Leo Carrillo State Beach, Thornhill Broom beach. All three are north towards Ventura from Zuma. You will find sand and rocky areas. I like to use a very light sliding sinker 1/4oz or less a short leader and fish live bait (crabs, worms, ghostshrimp) on the Carolina rig. Good morning and evening fishing there for corbina and several varieties of perch...