Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries

Up The Hill To Lake Arrowhead for Some Smallmouth fun...

Had a chance a few weekends ago to go with my buddies to fish Lake Arrrowhead for small mouth bass. We have had some good trips over the years and some bad ones but everything looked just right for there to biters.

They woke me up at 4am to get ready. I was none too happy

Got there at civil twilight and set up on our point. Waited for the sun to hit the water—then the actions was on.

Brad caught the first small mouth…

Followed by these feisty fighters…

BRAD FISH 2.jpg

KEN SMALLMOUTH 1.jpg

All catch and released after their out of water experience. It’s amazing how similar surf fishing is to lake bass fishing. I use some of the same exact techniques and the same thing always happens—a bite!

Until next time in the mountains--thanks Brad and Ken!—it’s time now for the beach!
    Bill

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    WOW ! That area looks beautiful. I would probably just enjoy the scenery even if I don't catch any fish. Definitely a great place to relax.

4 a.m. though ? I don't blame you for being grumpy !

I did not know that Southern California has a Smallmouth population. I sure would like to fish that area one of these days.

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    the kind that bends
    PB Fish Species
    if it swims count me in
    Images
    Lake arrowhead?, are you sure you were'nt in washington?
    We don't need no stinking casting control nob...

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishKiller View Post
    WOW ! That area looks beautiful. I would probably just enjoy the scenery even if I don't catch any fish. Definitely a great place to relax.

4 a.m. though ? I don't blame you for being grumpy !

I did not know that Southern California has a Smallmouth population. I sure would like to fish that area one of these days.

HAHAHA !!! I just found out that is a private lake when I did a google search on it. Oh well, too bad.

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Private, yes. But you can walk the shore below the "high tide" mark and fish there as long as you don't go on any docks, private property, etc. Can not take a boat or be on the lake itself without a community license. You think it was beautiful now check out lake arrowhead and big bear in October--warm evenings, biting fish and beautiful fall colored trees...

Administrator
    Rod Combos
    Garcia Revo Toro NACL60 w/Okuma Cedros Coastal Med 40 braid .......... Penn 525 Mag/Mods w/ Ocean Master 12' Heavy -40 braid SW ............ Shimano Spheros 4000 w/BSP Johnny Morris 7' med - 6lb mono
    PB Fish Species
    Leo 62" - BSP 15.75"- WSP - 5"- SFC - 0"- YFC - 15"- SNGF --
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great to here you are not just a Salty Dog Bill! Small mouths are one of my favorite fresh water sport fish. The sure to know how to make up for their size in a battle!

Thanks for the report and glad to be back online.

Plasticman
    You Got To Put The Steel To Em'