Wading in Winter

This will be my first winter Surf Fishing and have to believe at some point the water will cool down. Was wondering if anyone can provide some pointers on what type of waders work best for the beach. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

CB

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Breathable waders .. keep in mind that it makes it difficult if you got to go ! So if you get away without waders .. LOL ..it's convenient. But if you do not have complete control of your bladder or whatever... go without

Bladder controllable at this point. Looking to perhaps head north from OC for larger BSP. Seen a few guys with waders but they don't look like a typical fly fishing setup with the boots and all. I would think sand becomes a problem at some point.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    I just re-read my response, and woo ! I did not know how you understood that LOL ..multi tasking ..scrambles the thought structure. Somehow you knew what I meant.

Anyway, the waders I purchased is extra large...and it still a bit small on the waist. Imy waist was 34, and the waist it showed in the measurement was 38, I figures 4 inches plenty of space...felt kinda tight. I purchased mine online. Probably better buying it in person. I also went for breathable waders, only because of the reviews that it keeps you warm and dry. I have not even used it. It came with built in ort sewed on soft cushiony sole. And I also bought the Wader boots...one size above my size. Since it's been getting very cold, I think now is the time to try it.

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    the kind that bends
    PB Fish Species
    if it swims count me in
    Images
    The trick is not to get wet, waiters have a problem with making you feel that you can go in deeper try to stay out of deep water especially in this time of the year when the water is colder and the surf up, stay out of the water. try to only fish from dry shore if you're hunting for bait in the shallow water use you can use a wet suit pants or use your waiters then but stay out of the surf unless its flat calm
    Last edited by tunamaster; 10-02-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    We don't need no stinking casting control nob...

I know guys use waders in the surf, but I feel they can give you a false sense of confidence. And maybe there are different types of waders, but If you trip, slip, or a wave ends up over the belt, they fill with water and you are now in a very dangerous predicament. I slipped in a river fly fishing and was full of water in seconds. Thank goodness it was only a couple feet deep. I could not stand up though, and in the surf would have had to drop my rod just to keep my head above water. I had to take them off in the river just to stand up. Was really dang cold the rest of the day. This will be my first winter fishing from the surf, and I figure I will just put on my wetsuit, and leave the arms and torso hanging off my waist. The wader I had were boots, pants and suspenders all in one.

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    Shimano Clarus (9'), Daiwa Exceller 2500 spooled with braid
    PB Fish Species
    10" BSP 16" Corbina 36" SNGF
    I use what are called "boot foot" waders (Cabela's) which are breatheable. I mainly wear them for protection and warmth in winter. Tunamaster is right, stay in the shallow water.! I am considering getting a pair of "flat walkers" (I think that's it?) for warmer times, kind of like dive socks, but are a bit sturdier and cinch up above the ankle (Cabela's again). I use to go barefoot in the summer, but after you step on a couple of sharp things (trash buried in the sand or a piece of sharp shell) you have second thoughts about going shoeless. Stay Safe!!

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Always be sure to use a wader belt on the outside of your waders so that if you get knocked down they don't fill and you drown. I know a great many lucky anglers who almost lost more than just a fish!

Surf Ninja
    Rod Combos
    the kind that bends
    PB Fish Species
    if it swims count me in
    Images
    if you have to get in the water use a wet suit, it will keep you afloat and warm you can buy one at most second hand store at a discount
    Attachment 1790
    We don't need no stinking casting control nob...