Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries

This Week's Seminars Thurs. at Jig Stop and Sat. at San Marcos then on to the beach in Oceanside

I'm having a couple of seminars this week. One on Thurs. at Jig Stop in Dana Point and another on Sat. in San Marcos at Turner's for an hour, then down to Oceanside for some instruction on the beach. If you get a chance stop and by and say Hi!

For more information go to my Seminar Page: HERE

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    9'6" Okuma Spinnng Rod with Safina 25 Reel 8'6" Fenwick HMX Rod with Shimano Sedona 2500 Reel 7'6" Berkely Lightning Rod with Shimano Syncopate 2500 Reel
    PB Fish Species
    BSP - Large, but not XXL Corbina - Average sized, Nothing Shocking YFC - Decent Sized Halibut - All undersized from the surf (18" was biggest) Walleye Perch - Good sized for a Walleye SFC - TBD
    Hey Bill, I hope all is well. I wanted to ask if you are serious about using Taco Bell / Del Taco sauce on artifical baits? Do you use it on all lures or just grubs? Do you use it year round? It seems so unusual. Is it the vinegar and other spices that act as the attractant? Does it work for all fish or only when you are targeting a specific species? Thanks for abny feedback.

Rod Combos
    Cousins 9' Bill Varney Surf Series Rod, Shimano 2500 Sedona spinning reel loaded with 6lb pink Ande mono...
    PB Fish Species
    28" corbina, 13.25" calico surfperch, 16" barred surfperch, 17.75" pile perch, 18lb halibut, 29" yel
    Blog Entries
    Hi F.A.H,
    Yes, I like any taco sauce. Del taco, taco bell, panda express, etc. Any sauce with oil and vinegar will work. Oil holds the solution to the lure and vinegar provides the flavor so when fish bite down they feel the right consistency and a bit of flavor--which helps them hold on for you to set the hook. I use it mainly on gulp and grubs and in the winter when an attractant helps. In the summer when the crabs are out there is so much sent on live bait you don't need it.

We discovered it worked in the late 1980's when we used if for catching large mouth bass at Perris Lake, thought it would work in the surf, and it did! We now use if for surf, rock fishing and for small and large mouth bass in lakes. Works great, costs little and is biodegradable. Good stuff!!

Hi... New to the group and new to surf fishing

It's of great tips here. And I've read many of the tips.
    Thank you

what I'm looking for is a location close to me..... Topanga Beach has been a bust so far.

any suggestions between Malibue beach and Topanga beach?

Rod Combos
    PB Fish Species
    Blog Entries
    Hey Orion,
    Go up the coast to Leo Carillo beach. Park at the far end of the parking lot on the beach side (you drive under PCH) and fish to the north near the point. You'll find a few rocks just offshore there that hold some monster perch. Live baits like worms, crabs, ghost shrimp all work well. Stop by Wylies on PCH where you will find live bait. Tell Ginny that I sent you and you'll get a big smile...
    Bill
    Last edited by crabman; 05-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Water Swatter
    Rod Combos
    9'6" Okuma Spinnng Rod with Safina 25 Reel 8'6" Fenwick HMX Rod with Shimano Sedona 2500 Reel 7'6" Berkely Lightning Rod with Shimano Syncopate 2500 Reel
    PB Fish Species
    BSP - Large, but not XXL Corbina - Average sized, Nothing Shocking YFC - Decent Sized Halibut - All undersized from the surf (18" was biggest) Walleye Perch - Good sized for a Walleye SFC - TBD
    Hi Crabman, any suggestions of beaches to try this time of year? I have been striking out at the spots I have been to so far. (Sunset, Long Beach, Newport, Oxnard) Wind and waves have been strong and when the conditions were good (at Newport jetties) there were 1,000's of little crab/lobster creatures washing up on the beach. My brother is coming into town and I want to take him out and hopefully get a few fish...or at least bites!!! I have been using artificial baits mostly. (Lucky Craft, Krocodile, Gulp Worms, Grubs) The only sand crabs I have seen are really tiny. Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks

Rod Combos
    PB Fish Species
    Blog Entries
    Now that summer is here quite a few places are good. First for bait I suggest sand crabs or lug worms. You'll find lug worms at many tackle shops around So Cal. I've posted their location somewhere on the forum..I'll try to find it. For sand crabs just dig at high tide under almost any pier right now and you'll find them. Bolsa Chica has been very good along with the jetties at Newport Beach. Torrance and Hermosa beach have both kicked out some big corbina and a few perch in the last few weeks. Look for off colored, foaming water and you'll find fish. Any area with structure or rip currents will hold fish now too.

Have fun out there!