New to Forum, From Midwest

As the title implies, I'm new to this forum and from the Midwest, specifically Illinois. I'm active duty Air Force and got orders to Los Angeles last week. I'll be moving in early spring. I've never fished saltwater before and know very little about it. I enjoy bass and bluegill fishing which seems to be very pretty different. Surf Perch fishing looks pretty fun, and I think that's what I will target when I move out there. Sure it isn't as easy as going to a beach and casting between the wave that just broke and the next with a slow retrieve?
    I'm also a homebrewer, so if you know about the homebrew shops near Los Angeles AFB or a homebrew club I'd be interested.
    Thanks for the advice and hopefully I'll be posting pictures of fish soon.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Welcome to surf fishing !!!

It seems that you will be fishing around Dockweiler Beach, I've never fished that area, so someone on the board might be able to give some advice on area of operation.
    I used a couple of websites to learn when is a good time to fish. One is Spitcast, it's a forecast of how high the waves could be. I don't like fishing with 8 foot waves...very hard to keep the bait/lure in the fishing area. Second is Tides, shows me when the incoming and the outgoing tide will be... a rule of thumb , two hours before, and after a high tide could be productive, also shows feeding activity forecast. And lastly, the Weather, helps me decide if it's gonna be windy. Sometimes I just go...I can be a glutton for punishment.

Many people on here likes to use Berkeley Gulp Camo worms in the 2 inch size... with a #4 hook, on a 6lbs fluorocarbon leader, approx 12-18 inches, on a carolina rig. About a 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz sliding egg sinker. Then again, some will argue that Live bait (Lugworm, bloodworm, and ghost shrimp) is best. It's a matter of preference... For me, I like to fish artificial because of the challenge, but I also have a small can of live bait just in case my buddy is catching them on live bait, and I don't want to get skunk.... .. Bait shops in the area via google...not sure about type, and quality.

Then there are hard baits...I've seen perch caught on crank baits. My preference is the Luckycraft 110 Flashminnow, Sardine or Smelt.

Looking forward to see all those pictures of "hog" perch and maybe the fancy halibut

Again, WELCOME !

Hey, First off Thankyou for your service! and to all us Vets out there God Bless America! Now, your being down there in socal your in a Fantastic place for all kinds of saltwater fishing! Like enjoying the very first rays of dawn in solitude with the wet sand pushing up between yer toes and the surf lapping at your ankles, (whatever you do, never turn your back on the surf). Or you can jump on a sportfishing boat and catch anything from sand bass to 100lb bluefin Tuna! Almost makes me jealous, I live up in the central valley and it takes a 3 to 4 hour drive "not counting traffic" to get there. I'm a bluegil-n-crappie fisherman too, whatever it takes to get a tug at the end of my line, I'll be looking forward to your mission reports...mutt.

Administrator
    Rod Combos
    Garcia Revo Toro NACL60 w/Okuma Cedros Coastal Med 40 braid .......... Penn 525 Mag/Mods w/ Ocean Master 12' Heavy -40 braid SW ............ Shimano Spheros 4000 w/BSP Johnny Morris 7' med - 6lb mono
    PB Fish Species
    Leo 62" - BSP 15.75"- WSP - 5"- SFC - 0"- YFC - 15"- SNGF --
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome and hope to see some action shots here soon!. We are a growing community of fisherman/woman who love what we do! Now go get em'
    You Got To Put The Steel To Em'

So,
    It looks like I have a place to live now! We'll be renting in North Redondo Beach. What equipment do I need for pier fishing? What can/do you catch from Redondo Beach Pier?

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureFarm View Post
    So,
    It looks like I have a place to live now! We'll be renting in North Redondo Beach. What equipment do I need for pier fishing? What can/do you catch from Redondo Beach Pier?
    Wow!

Not sure how far you will be from Redondo Sportfishing Pier. They have a bait shop that sells live bait when available right at the pier.

I was speaking to one of the boat captains that runs from Redondo Sportfishing, and he told me a "secret" on how to fish the pier. He said (but I've never tried it) to use a small hook, #4 or #6, and 4-6lbs test, with a small sinker, 1/4 oz ? and use either a squid, shrimp, or even better ghost shrimp, or blood worms, if they're available, I use Lugworms, for bait. Right at the pier, find a space, it gets crowded on weekends, and the catch are usually opal eye, bonitos, mackerel, and even big sargo, and sheep head. I've always wanted to try that tip, but never had the balls to drive that way.
    Definitely take pictures, and let us know how you did !

Being from the midwest I've never fished for any of those fish. Are any of them worth eating? Is the water even clean enough to eat fish from?

Rod Combos
    PB Fish Species
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureFarm View Post
    Being from the midwest I've never fished for any of those fish. Are any of them worth eating? Is the water even clean enough to eat fish from?
    Sargo
    Opaleye

are very good to eat .. at least for me. Safe ? I believe there was a research that as long as you do not eat the fish 3 times a day everyday ... is safe. Now if you eat it once, and you start glowing ... please let us know and tell us which area you caught it from

Great question. Ocean water is better than your park lakes.