Bright blue fish SA river jetty

Hello, all. New member here. I was surf fishing the north side of the Santa Ana River jetty this morning/afternoon with two of my nephews, and we all saw an electric blue fish swimming near shore. Twice. It was swimming very close to shore (within 2-3 yards of the shoreline), and it was swimming very fast. I have been surf fishing for quite a lot of my 52 years and never seen anything like this. I have also fished a lot in Baja, surf fishing, inshore fishing and offshore fishing, and the only thing have ever seen that has a blue like that is a parrot fish. Did I really see a parrot fish at Huntington Beach, or does someone have a more likely explanation for what I saw? Unfortunately, there were no pictures because I was fishing and it happened too fast the first time, and the second time it was my nephews who saw it, not me. Electric blue, fast swimmer next to the shoreline. Any ideas? Thanks.

Russ

BTW, slow morning. One decent corbina, a few small ones and a small yellowfin croaker.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Hello, all. New member here. I was surf fishing the north side of the Santa Ana River jetty this morning/afternoon with two of my nephews, and we all saw an electric blue fish swimming near shore. Twice. It was swimming very close to shore (within 2-3 yards of the shoreline), and it was swimming very fast. I have been surf fishing for quite a lot of my 52 years and never seen anything like this. I have also fished a lot in Baja, surf fishing, inshore fishing and offshore fishing, and the only thing have ever seen that has a blue like that is a parrot fish. Did I really see a parrot fish at Huntington Beach, or does someone have a more likely explanation for what I saw? Unfortunately, there were no pictures because I was fishing and it happened too fast the first time, and the second time it was my nephews who saw it, not me. Electric blue, fast swimmer next to the shoreline. Any ideas? Thanks.

Russ

Russ welcome to the SurfRats of So Cal

That is very interesting. Did you catch a glimpse of the shape of the fish ? Was is shaped like a corbina, or more like a perch ?

Quote Originally Posted by FishKiller View Post
    Russ welcome to the SurfRats of So Cal

That is very interesting. Did you catch a glimpse of the shape of the fish ? Was is shaped like a corbina, or more like a perch ?
    I would have to say it was shaped more like a corbina-- kind of long and thin for the short time that I saw it.

Rod Combos
    Rainshadow crank bait 7'6" 8-14 lbs with Curado 200E7, Curado 200E7, Clarus CRCD70M
    PB Fish Species
    20" Corbina, YFC 14.5", 13" BSP, 14" Spotfin, Sandbass 20" 21.5" Halibut on the surrf.
    Images
    I would have to say it was shaped more like a corbina-- kind of long and thin for the short time that I saw it.
    Could it be a big needle fish ?

No, not a needle fish. I know needle fish light up when caught (caught a five-footer in the surf at Cabo), but this was a darker blue than that, and this fish wasn't that long and thin. I think the blue was the fish's actual normal color. Thanks for responses!

Rod Combos
    PB Fish Species
    Images
    No, not a needle fish. I know needle fish light up when caught (caught a five-footer in the surf at Cabo), but this was a darker blue than that, and this fish wasn't that long and thin. I think the blue was the fish's actual normal color. Thanks for responses!
    I'd love to catch just to see what it is

Based on the below descriptions and what is typically in our waters, I would guess you saw a fast moving big 'ol jack smelt other wise known as a Topenga Tarpon